About Me - GAD123

My photo
Belfast, N.I., United Kingdom
I first got on the net over 15 (2009) years ago and have had my own site for at least 7 (2009) of those years (a place where I could dump the misery of my everyday life!), you can see my fist efforts @ www.freewebs.com/gad123 and my current blog @ www.gad123.co.uk . I am a kind person, smart, (I know that is subjective) and witty, the dry, sarcastic type! I am told that I am easy to talk to and am very laid back. I enjoy playing poker, listening to any music, watching movies & American TV shows, love going to the pub, dancing on a Saturday night and am a bit of a nerd as I own a Wii, PS3 and built my own PC! I am a creature of routine, love the night time when all the exciting things happen, am a bit of an insomniac and love getting trashed at the weekends! If you want, you can catch me on MSN @ graham@gad123.co.uk! Take care and enjoy you browse around this GAD123 Page!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

As He Gazed Upon The Vista...

Current Mood :: The current mood of gad123 at www.imood.com
Current Music :: GAD123 Last FM
E-Mail GAD123 :: E-Mail GAD123



I am back, hurrah is he murmur I can hear floating around in cyberspace! It's been so long that I have forgotten HTML and how to blog. I hope everyone had a good Easter. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond anyone's control my Easter was a bit of a wash out, nice to be off work and that tho, hope you all faired better.

Vista *cough* VISTA, arrived through my letter box last Friday, I was so excited and nervous at the same time, do I upgrade, clean install or what, will all my software work, will my hardware fall over... Arrrrggghhhh! It was 11pm when I started getting all the drivers and updates I needed, backing up my PC in prep for duel boot (one 320g HD for XP and another clean 320g HD for Vista). By 8am I was done and finally decided it was time for bed. Everything went smoothly really and by that stage I was completely happy using Vista and had it running the way I WANTED, it's so annoying that it try's to hold your hand when you attempt to do anything. Two small issues have arisen, my TV card will run in a compatibility mode but the glass effects must be switched off (no vista driver is available yet, IT'S BEEN OUT FOR MONTHS, how can this be) and I am only able to surf the internet at one third normal speed (Tiscali said not to upgrade and no solution was available, HOW CAN THIS BEEEEE, IT'S BEEN BLOODY MONTHS AND YEARS IN THE BLOODY PIPELINE) but that is fine for now and I can and do still boot to XP for downloading and that!

So what do I think? Well I have the business version, my PC rating is 5.3 (scaled from 1 - 5.9) and my graphics rate at 5.9 (bragging rights there then and when I get some more RAM I am sure the whole system will be almost 5.9) so my machine is very capable and I am in a good position to judge it's proficiency. In XP I used so many little programs to get it to work in a cool way, a sidebar, glass effects, windows blinds, etc that it all slowed the system down a fair bit, happily I find Vista faster than how I was using XP. I think it's a lovely OS, not leaps and bounds ahead like we all hoped but it's clean, looks nice, gets faster as you use it and for anyone new to PC's easy to use! Things like the Speech Recognition works straight out of the box, the search is fast and in a year or so when development really kicks in I doubt you will be able to fault it (Mac's new OS is delayed so for now anyway it's top dog), OK maybe just a little. For me personally I wanted to be able to get under the hood more, to see what's happening but it wants to just tick away in the back ground, without YOU seeing how, why or when anything is happening but for the mass market this is an advantage.

To up some, I like it and you will too but it's not ready for the mass market and won't be until 3rd party developers get their act together! As an upgrade, don't bother yet and on a new PC, well that choice is removed! Peace out folks!

TODAY'S LINKS :: Craig's Joke Images - Terrorist Advice :: World's Tightest Pants :: Something From My Room Blog :: Funny Student Exam Answers :: Torrent Google :: The End of the InterWebNet

REMEMBER KID'S :: "Senior Citizen: Give me my damn discount!"

AddThis Feed Button

No comments: