About Me - GAD123

My photo
Belfast, N.I., United Kingdom
I first got on the net over 15 (2009) years ago and have had my own site for at least 7 (2009) of those years (a place where I could dump the misery of my everyday life!), you can see my fist efforts @ www.freewebs.com/gad123 and my current blog @ www.gad123.co.uk . I am a kind person, smart, (I know that is subjective) and witty, the dry, sarcastic type! I am told that I am easy to talk to and am very laid back. I enjoy playing poker, listening to any music, watching movies & American TV shows, love going to the pub, dancing on a Saturday night and am a bit of a nerd as I own a Wii, PS3 and built my own PC! I am a creature of routine, love the night time when all the exciting things happen, am a bit of an insomniac and love getting trashed at the weekends! If you want, you can catch me on MSN @ graham@gad123.co.uk! Take care and enjoy you browse around this GAD123 Page!

Friday, June 02, 2006

Marriage and Kids Equate to Happiness, Apparently...

So this is a weird one today, sort of a rant, sort of to garner opinion. Unfortunately I have to generalise but here goes. Last night I went out for a few drinks with an old friend whom I met 13 years ago. He is getting married today and all being well I am hoping to get to the reception this evening. I have not seen him in a good few years now and it was strange for me chatting to him again. Of course some reminiscing went on and catching up but the weird thing for me is how his personality has not changed at all. He is still a wind up merchant but I seem I have changed so much. I always knew I had but it's not until you have that contrast that it becomes so apparent. He thinks he is a man of the world, knows everything, is loaded and lorded the fact over me that he had his own house, was getting married and planning children, a grown up if you will. All very childish really but instead of reacting like I would have done as a teenage boy to his put downs it really did not faze on me at all, I seen him for someone lacking the personal development and maturity that I have gained.

He is 29 and continued with the calling me old and the fact that I NEED to get married soon, etc, etc. It, in fact, made me think something completely different, compared to him I look younger, feel younger, am more mature, am sure I earn more, look better and am smarter, all of which I don't need to boast about but he feels the need to boast about his trappings of adulthood. Now this all seems like a 'big up yo self' but in fact its not. It just proves how people judge, are arrogant and need to gain material worth to make themselves feel better than there fellow man. It leads me to muse about why I do not feel the need to get tangled in this, I know so many people who are similar, get a faster car than their friends, a bigger house, boast about their kids schooling or how much they earn, etc. I just don't get it. Why is happiness' measured this way?

I 'just' want to do the right thing in life, when and how I choose, for the right reasons, not because society dictates it. There are people that I care about and I want to look after. I had prepared myself for a life of being unmarried and alone because I know so many unhappily married people, which, I was happy about. Then Dimples arrived and now I am not alone but that does not mean I am being fast tracked to marriage and 2.4 (I am sure this stat has changed now) children. If (I know I will get killed for saying 'if' lol) it happens - because of the person I am - it will be because I / we want it and not because society has pressured us in to it or so we will be seen to 'do the right thing'! We live in 2006 but it seems, in small town Northern Ireland that people are still stuck in a 50's mentality of marriage and kids, with a dash of 80's, flash the cash mentality!

I have no idea what today's teenagers life will be like when they are 30 (maybe they will travel in flying cars) but I am sure getting married and having children will not be their no.1 priority and happiness will be measured in a more appropriate fashion than today and not in pounds and pence. I am also not down on marriage, when it works it is a fantastic thing, my parents are nearly 50 years married, I also happen to think that I would make a great father but having kids is a very serious business and not something to be under taken lightly. Anyway, I don't really have a conclusion or point, just committing to text my thoughts on the subject. Your thought's are appreciated too.

On a possibly lighter note, I read this and found it interesting, they called it "the profession" and it was one of the hardest jobs in the world to get.

The stats are in for last month and again, as every month this year we have an increse in visitors but unfortunetly not many more commentors.

January 2006 - 4985
February 2006 - 5398
March 2006 - 11100
April 2006 - 12965
May 2006 - 14486
TOTAL: 48934

Well that your lot, time to move on folks and get your kicks elswhere. Have a great weekend!

TODAY'S LINKS :: MoBlog - My life in photo's :: Oasis' album 'best of all time' shocker :: Google Hacking :: BBC website shows World Cup games LIVE :: Free Online Manga Viewer :: Card Toss Game :: Flat Pack Toys to Print Out and Make :: Study in to The Development of Friendships in Virtual Worlds :: The Eighties Club

TODAY'S BIG BROTHER THOUGHT :: Get Sezer out guys, out I say!

REMEMBER KID'S :: "Frankly, Scallop, I don't give a clam"


No comments: